Hosting is a service of providing resources on a server for placing information (most often site files) on the Internet. Usually, hosting means the service of placing site files on a pre-configured server with the software necessary to process requests for these files and related services (web server, database server, DNS server, PHP processor, FTP server, mail server) .
There are other ways to use hosting. On it you can place programs that require Internet access (1C Accounting or MetaTrader), create your own server (for example, a game), organize a file hosting service or simply store files for personal use.
A hosting provider is a company that provides hosting services.
Types of hosting
- Shared hosting . Its feature is that all server resources are divided between hosting accounts, in each of which several sites can be hosted. Such hosting already has the necessary software for the sites to work — a web server, a database server, an FTP server, and a PHP processor.
- Reseller hosting . Ready-made solution for reselling hosting. By purchasing reseller hosting, you become an intermediary between the hosting provider and the end user.
- Virtual server ( VPS server or VDS server). This service implies that several virtual machines can be running on one physical server, each of which is completely isolated from the rest. The tenant of such a server gets full access to the management of the UPU (at the administrator / root level).
- Dedicated Server . A separate physical medium with all the resources at your disposal. This option is necessary to host a resource-intensive project with a large number of visitors, for example, a medium or large online store.
- Colocation . Placing your own dedicated server in the data center of the hosting provider.
Choosing a hosting: technical parameters
Choosing the right hosting package from the technical side is important, because this is what will determine in the future how stable your site or application will work. The parameters themselves must be selected based on your needs and the requirements of the software developers and scripts that you will post. You should pay attention to the following technical parameters of the hosting package that you want to purchase.
- operating system (Linux or Windows);
- software support (PHP, MySQL, Java);
- amount of RAM;
- processor resources;
- disk space (as well as the type of disk - HDD or SSD);
- monthly traffic volume;
- data transfer rate;
- server location (it is recommended to choose a data center close to the project audience);
- restrictions on the use of the service (the number of hosted sites, files, databases).
Choosing a hosting: Company
Choosing a provider is just as important as choosing the right package. This is the company you trust your data with, so you need to make sure that the data does not disappear anywhere, and that an employee of the company can always answer any of your questions.
- competent round-the-clock support;
- convenient payment methods;
- reviews about the hosting provider;
- availability of full legal details of the company;
- the presence of a test period;
- the possibility of a refund.
The above parameters are not the only, but one of the most important criteria for choosing a hosting.